- 1 1/4 cups/310 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup/60 mL granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp/1.25 mL salt from Watkins Mediterranean Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/2 cup/125 mL cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla®
- 3 apples – peeled, cored and cut into chunks. We recommend Honeycrisp or Granny Smith
- 2 tbsp/30 mL sugar
- 1 cup/250 mL water
- 1/4 tsp/1.25 mL Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp/0.6 mL Watkins Organic Pure Lemon Extract
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and sliced into 1/8-inch/3-mm thin segments. We recommend Honeycrisp or Granny Smith
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL sugar
- Juice of half a fresh lemon
- Topping: Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. 11-inch/28-cm tart pan lightly floured. We recommend one with a removable bottom.
Crust: In a large food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Tip: If you don’t have a food processor you can use a pastry cutter. Add COLD butter to the mixture in food processor and pulse until mixture begins to crumble. Add egg and Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla®to the mixture in food processor. Pulse until evenly mixed with a crumbled texture. Important: Do not over process the crust! The mixture should be crumbly when finished, not a ball of dough. Remove dough from food processor and place on a lightly floured surface. Form dough into a ball, flatten into a disk shape, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Please note – The dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Apple Compote: Place apple chunks, sugar, water, Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon and Watkins Pure Lemon Extract into a saucepan. Cover and bring to boil. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove cover and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. With a fork, mash apples until the mixture forms a paste. Set aside to cool.
Apple Slices: Place peeled, cored and sliced apples into a bowl. Coat apple slices with lemon to prevent browning of apples.
Assembly and Baking:
Take dough out of the refrigerator and sit on the counter for a few minutes to soften it up slightly. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out into an 11-inch/28-cm circle using a rolling pin. Lightly dust the inside of an 11-inch/28-cm tart pan with flour. Gently place into the 11-inch/28-cm tart pan. With a sharp knife, trim the edges of the dough to fit the tart pan. Cover the crust and freeze in a tart pan for 30 minutes to prevent dough from shrinking. Remove crust from freezer and place compote in center of tart crust and distribute evenly across the crust. Place apple slices in a circular pattern around the outside edge of tart pan. Repeat pattern until the top of the tart crust is covered in apple slices. Place tart in pre-heated 375°F/190°C oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F/180°C and bake for 20 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon before serving.
Total Time: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
Prep Time: 75 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Cool Time: 30 minutes
Yields = 1 tart or 8 to 12 slices