Pumpkin Cream Puffs
- 3/4 cup/180 mL water
- 6 tbsp/90 mL butter or margarine
- 2 tsp/10 mL sugar
- 1/8 tsp/0.5 mL salt
- 3/4 cup/180 mL all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp/7.5 mL Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla®
- 1 cup/250 mL whipped cream
- 3 tbsp/45 mL sugar
- 1 tsp/5 mL pumpkin spice
- 1 cup/250 mL canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup/125 mL packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp/15 mL corn starch
- 1/3 cup/75 mL half-and-half
- 1/4 cup/60 mL water
- 2 tbsp/30 mL pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp/15 mL butter
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla®
Pasty: In medium saucepan, combine butter and water. Bring to boil over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture leaves sides of pan in a smooth ball. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Add eggs one at a time, beating vigorously after each addition, until mixture is smooth and glossy. Stir in vanilla. Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C. Using either a pasty bag or tablespoon, form the puffs on a greased cookie sheet. Using the back of a spoon, flatten any points. Makes 12 puff pastries. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove puffs from oven and cool on wire racks.
Filling: In a large chilled bowl combine whipped cream, sugar and pumpkin pie spice with chilled beaters until soft peaks form. Fold in 1 cup/250 mL canned pumpkin.
Sauce: In a small saucepan stir together brown sugar, corn starch, half-and-half, water, maple syrup, and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or more. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cut puff pastry in half, fill with pumpkin filling and top with caramel sauce.