Deluxe Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup/250 mL butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup/250 mL sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp/5 mL Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla®
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL Watkins Organic Pure Almond Extract
- 2 tbsp/30 mL milk
- 2-1/2 cups/625 mL all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp/5 mL baking powder
- 4 cups/1 liter powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup/125 mL butter or margarine, softened
- 3 to 4 tbsp/45 to 60 mL milk
- 1 to 2 tsp/ 5 to 10 mL **Watkins Extracts to taste
- Food coloring, if desired
Cookies: Combine butter, sugar, egg, extracts, and milk in large bowl. Stir in flour and baking powder; mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours). Heat oven to 400ºF/205ºC. On lightly floured surface, roll dough one third at a time to 1/4-inch/5-mm thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutter. Place 1 inch/25 mm apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Immediately remove to wire rack to cool.
Frosting: Combine all ingredients; beat until smooth.