Classic Roast Chicken with Stuffing
- 1-1/4 cups/325 mL wild rice blend
- 1 tbsp/15 mL Watkins Chicken Soup & Gravy Base
- 1 cup/250 mL soft bread crumb
- 1/2 cup/125 mL dark raisin
- 1/2 cup/125 mL finely chopped walnut
- 1/2 cup/125 mL diced, peeled apple
- 1/4 cup/60 mL butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tbsp/15 mL poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup/125 mL orange juice
- 1 whole roasting chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- (if grilling) cooking oil
- 1-1/2 tsp/7.5 mL poultry seasoning
Cook rice per package directions, adding soup base to cooking water; cool slightly. Combine cooked rice, breadcrumbs, raisins, walnuts, apple, butter, poultry seasoning and orange juice; mix well. (If roasting in the oven, you can stuff the bird loosely with some of this mixture. Do not stuff if grilling.) Place all (or remaining) rice mixture in a casserole for baking.
If grilling, prepare grill with a pile of 25 or so coals on opposite sides of grilling area (not directly under chicken). Light coals and wait until covered with gray ash before placing chicken on grill. Rub chicken with oil and remaining poultry seasoning, and grill over indirect heat. Check coals periodically, adding more as needed, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 190ºF/90ºC. (If oven-roasting, bake at 350ºF/180ºC for about 1-3/4 to 2 hours.) Cover stuffing in casserole and bake at 350ºF/180ºC for 45 minutes to 1 hour (or last 30 minutes of cooking time, if bird is stuffed). Serve chicken with stuffing.