Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns
- 3/4 cup/180 mL warm water (110°F/43°C)
- 1 tbsp/15 mL active dry yeast
- 3 cups/750 mL all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp/15 mL milk
- 1/4 cup/60 mL granulated sugar
- 3/8 tsp/0.5 mL salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp/45 mL unsalted butter – softened
- 3/4 cup/180 mL dried currants
- 1 tsp/5 mL Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp/30 mL water
- 1/2 cup/125 mL powdered sugar
- 1 tsp/5 mL Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla
- 2 tsp/10 mL milk
To make this recipe in a stand mixer, combine warm water and yeast in the bowl of the mixer and let soften for about 5 minutes. Add flour, milk, sugar, salt, egg, and egg white. Mix on low speed using the dough hook, scraping the dough down occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Add the softened butter, Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon, and currants and mix for an additional 5 minutes. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel, and allow it to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down on floured surface, cover, and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into 12 dough balls and place in a greased 9x12-inch/23x30-cm pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35-40 minutes.
Mix egg yolk and 2 tbsp/30 mL water. Brush on tops of dough balls.
Bake at 375°F/190°C for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
Mix together Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla®, milk and powdered sugar until smooth. Place glaze in a piping bag or a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe a cross onto each bun.
Makes 12 buns.
Total Time: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
Prep Time: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes