Baked Cinnamon Apples
Watkins Organic Cinnamon Sugar Trail Mix Topping
- 1 tsp/5 mL Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup/60 mL brown sugar
- 1/4 cup/60 mL chopped nuts. We recommend pecans, walnuts or both.
- 1/4 cup/60 mL dried fruit. We recommend cranberries and currants.
- 6 medium apples. We recommend Honeycrisp or Granny Smith.
- 1 tbsp/15 mL butter, cut into 6 even pieces.
- 3/4 cup/180 mL boiling water
- 1 tsp/5 mL Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla®
- 1/4 tsp/1.25 mL Watkins Pure Almond Extract
Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Baking dish or dishes that fit the apples you have selected.
Tip: You can bake all of the apples together or individually in small baking dishes for a more formal presentation.
Watkins Organic Cinnamon Sugar Trail Mix Topping:
In a small bowl combine Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon, sugar, chopped nuts and dried fruit. Stir together until evenly mixed.
Assembly and Baking:
Prepare apples by washing them well and removing the core. Place cored apples into the baking dish/dishes. Stuff each apple with the fruit and nut mixture. Make sure to leave a little bit of room at the top for the butter. Split remaining topping in half. Place one half aside for topping the apples after baking and sprinkle remaining mixture at the bottom of the baking dish/dishes. Place one of the six pieces of butter at the top of each apple. Press the butter into the hole on the top of the apple to seal the opening closed.
Boil water in small pot. Turn off heat and stir in Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla®and Watkins Pure Almond Extract. Pour water and extract mixture into the baking dish/dishes around the apples. Important: Do not pour directly over top of the apples! Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Apples should be tender but not mushy.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Spoon some of the sauce from the bottom of baking dish/dishes on top of apples and top with remaining fruit and nut mixture, that was set aside earlier.
For a sweeter treat – Serve apples with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Total Time: 1 Hour
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes